04 September 2008

Lesson Learned: Always Have a Back-Up Plan

Last night, right as i was going to bed, i heard a knock on my door. "Caroline?" It was Yara. "Can you come out here? We want to talk to you."

15 minutes later, i sat on my the bed, stunned. They want me to leave? I was totally shocked. I didn't realize i'd been on trial. They decided they don't like living with me, that i wasn't a good person to have in their house, and they wanted me to leave - and that there was someone else they wanted to put in my room on the 20th. "So you have like, two weeks, okay?"

Also, they were offended that i'd put my name on the food that i'd bought. It's very creepy to me to think they've been watching me and judging me and talking about me behind my back. There was not even any space for negotiation - no, these are the problems we're having, you could change it this way and it would be better - just - get out.

So i was on the phone and IM until 2 AM with various consoling family/framily members, while i cried, angry, hurt, and confused. Not only was i upset at the way they felt about me, i liked living there. I'd thought Yara and i were getting to be friends.

I've spent the afternoon looking for places, and i have one really good prospect that said i could probably move in. They had 3 other people to meet, but said i was the only English speaking one, which is what they were looking for, so, fingers crossed.

It's only €250, including utilities, which is incredibly cheap for Barcelona, especially the area and the quality of the building - it's GORGEOUS. It's what you think of when you think of classic Spanish architecture. There are two balconies, one in the back and one in the front, and they have a washing machine. And they also really have WiFi - no more windowsill perching.

And while they want to practice their English, i'm hoping also to practice Spanish. They're two guys (the one who showed me around is named Raul), they seem very nice. The apartment has very tall ceilings, dark hardwood floors, and the room is at least double the size of the one i'm in now. There's no window, but the apartment on the whole is full of light. And without a window, it will probably be quieter. Also, it's a 10-15 minute walk from school.

They're going to call me at 7:30 tonight to let me know for sure, and said i could move into tonight if i wanted. Which i will, if it takes til 2 AM. I don't want to share space with people who are so hostile to me. Ick.

Hopefully this is the last of the difficulties - though this is way worse than cell phone purgatory.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If not this, then something better. You live a charmed life.

Anonymous said...

This happened to me a once, only the people were my friends BEFORE I moved in. (And now aren't. They said they wanted to still be my friends, but friends don't send me abusive text messages months after kicking me out of their house and fail to ever ask whether I'm going somewhere safe or going to live in my car.)

The problem was that my food smelled funny, apparently. Nobody I've ever lived with before has complained about that, nor anybody I've ever lived with since.

-oliver

Angie said...

I'm so glad your new place is better, and I miss you too! But hey, we're still spending the same amount of time talking on gchat as we did when you were in virginia!

hennalion said...

*sigh* What a tough thing. I'm sorry it didn't work out, but glad for the breadth of experience you're getting... did you get to move into the new place? I hope you haven't posted yet because you stayed up late moving and transitioning painlessly from icky place to happy new place.

Sending you good vibes.