26 September 2008

Gaudi and More Strange Customs

So, a couple of weeks ago i finally went to see the Sagrada Familia and Park Guell, two of the major Gaudi works in Barcelona. They were cool, but i have to say i don't really understand what all the fuss is about. I like the Palau de la Musica much better, which is a modernist work, but isn't even by Gaudi. I didn't go in the Sagrada Familia, because it costs 10€! The Sagrada Familia is famously perpetually under construction, despite Gaudi's death in the 20s. The front is the newer part, and is much different than the back. It's been criticized as not being in keeping with Gaudi's vision. I walked through Park Guell, took advantage of the open space to play with my poi, talked to some jewelry-makers (i got a stunning handmade amethyst bracelet for 10€, much more worth it than going into the Sagrada Familia). I didn't stay there long, though, the tourists were kind of overwhelming. It's on top of a hill (a REALLY BIG hill), so the view was spectacular.

Photobucket

Then i spent the rest of the day at the beach.

Last weekend was Barcelona's celebration of La Merce, which is different than what i went to in Tarragona, which was not actually La Merce, just Catalunya's national day. La Merce is the festival in honor of the Virgin of Mercy, who supposedly saved the city from a plague of locusts once upon a time. The legend is more complicated than that, but i can't remember it all. Anyway, the whole city celebrates with free concerts and parades and such all weekend. Also, everyone gets drunk. Walking around that night, it was like being in college on a Friday night, except instead of just the campus, it was the whole city. It was pretty amazing. I went to see two amazing DJs spin at an open-air venue near the sea, as well as seeing the Carrefoc parade, which is basically a bunch of people in devil costumes running around with fireworks. Seriously. What that has to do with the Virgin of Mercy, i can't quite comprehend.



I LOVE living in Barcelona. I love riding the metro, i love the buildings, i love the sea, the market, the people in the street, speaking Spanish and getting better at it. I love my classes and my studio and the tutors. My classmates are great. I discovered an incredible area of the city yesterday, and i know there are more that i'll find. I think that if my framily was here with me, i'd just be happy as a clam to stay for a while. Though, if Sarah Palin ends up president of the United States... well, this isn't a political blog.

So that's basically what i've been up to, other than joining a gym, where i'm swimming and taking capoeira classes. Of course, i've also been busy in the studio, progressing with the paper dolls and moving in a new direction with them as of today! But that's for the next post. Happy Friday!

1 comment:

Dave said...

Glad to see you are so happy in Barcelona. And thanks for leading me to read about capoeira, which I've never heard of before.